This Topic has Related Categories:
Traditional Grilled Cheese Sandwich
2 slices Cheddar, American, or Swiss cheese
2 slices white bread
2 tablespoons butter
Put the cheese between the slices of bread. Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a skillet or grill and when melted add the sandwich. Gently press down with a spatula once or twice during the grilling. When one side is golden, add the remaining tablespoon of butter, turn the sandwich over, and brown.
- Grilled Cheese with Bacon: Fry 3 slices bacon until cooked but not crisp. Pat dry of excess fat, add on top of the cheese, and grill as directed.
- Grilled Cheese with Ham: Put 2 thin slices ham on the cheese and grill as directed. Serve with sweet pickle.
- Onion-Cheese Sandwich: Follow the recipe for Grilled Cheese Sandwich, but lightly coat 1 slice of bread with Dijon mustard. Sauté 3 to 4 slices onion in butter and put on top of the cheese. Cover and grill.
- Tomato-Cheese Sandwich: Follow the recipe for Grilled Cheese Sandwich, but add two thin slices tomato to the sandwich before grilling.
- Creamy Horseredish: Try spreading a thin layer of creamy horseredish sauce on the inside of the sandwich before grilling. Some people like a thin spread of mayonaise as well.
Homemade Cheese Whiz
1 1/2 lb American processed cheese
13 oz evaporated milk
1 tbs butter
1 tbs flour
2 egg yolks, beaten
In a double boiler, melt butter and add cheese. When softened, add egg yolks, milk and flour. Cook, stirring until thick. Store in a covered jar in the refrigerator.
Did you know that besides Macaroni and Cheese, Grill Cheese Sandwiches are kids most favorite cheese snack in America?