FRENCH ONION SOUP
2 cups thinly sliced onions
2 tablespoons dry sherry, dry wine or nonalcoholic wine
3 cups beef broth, defatted
1 can of chicken broth
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 teaspoons of fresh chopped thyme
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 clove of garlic
pinch of cayenne pepper
8 slices baguette or 4 slices French bread, toasted
8 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated.
Sliced green onion tops (optional)
In a large saucepan, combine the onions, sugar and butter. Cook until caramelized. Add sherry or wine. Cook and stir until the onions are tender. Add the broth and Worcestershire sauce. Add chopped clove of garlic. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Add herbs. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes to blend the flavors. Meanwhile, place the bread slices on a cookie sheet. Place the cheese on top of the bread. Broil just until the cheese melts. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and float the bread on top of each. If desired, sprinkle with the green onion tops.
The reasons why French Onion soup is healing
- Soup has anti-inflammatory properties that helped sore throats and helped stop the movement of neutrophils (white blood cells that encourage the flow of mucus that accumulates in the lungs and nose).
- steam is a real benefit. Sipping the hot soup and breathing in the steam helps clear up congestion. This can also be said for many hot soups.
- Spices that are often added to soup, such as garlic and pepper (all ancient treatments for respiratory diseases), work the same way as modern cough medicines, thinning mucus and making breathing easier.
- chicken broth contains drug-like agents similar to those in modern cold medicines. For example, an amino acid released from chicken during cooking chemically resembles the drug acetylcysteine, prescribed for bronchitis and other respiratory problems.
- Chicken Soup puts needed fluids back into the body.
- Onions: a regular in french onion soup- contains quercetin, a powerful anti-oxidant that is also a natural anti-histamine, and anti-inflammatory. Onion are a strong antibacterial agent.
- Garlic has phytochemicals that are helpful in reducing cancer risk and boosting the immune system. The herb (yes it is considered a herb or veggie) is beneficial to the bodys overall maitenance. It is rich in protein; vitamins A, B-1 and C; essential minerals including calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and selenium. Plus it contains 17 different amino acids. Increases energy and endurance. Garlic gives chicken soup a great flavor as well. ---- Bible: God through Jesus Christ our Lord (John 1:3, Col. 1:16) created garlic for us not only to enjoy as a flavor in our cooked foods, but also to use as a medicine.
- Cayenne pepper sprinkled in food, broth or tea also promotes sweating to break a fever. Cayenne acts as a catalyst, carrying all other herbs and supplements quickly to the place in the body where they are needed and increasing their effectiveness. It is also high in vitamin C and useful in the treatment of colds, sinus problems and respiratory ailments.
- Thyme/herb: Thyme heals all colds. It's an effective expectorant, as well as an antiseptic. It can help clear congestion, viral infections, or a dry, hacking cough.
Visit our related pages below
Please give Instruction Video time to load
Tuscan Onion Soup