How is this holiday celebrated?
It's a day to Hug and enjoy hugging!
Most of our research shows that this day is celebrated by sending fun greeting cards and enjoying in a few extra hugs throughout the day.
If you are new to this holiday,
then maybe you would like to surprise someone with a nice hug. Try hugging someone you haven't hugged in a long time to let them know they are appreciated.
Origin of this Holiday
Our research did not find the creator, or the origin of this day.
It is possible this holiday may of been created by the greeting card industry because we find reference to it on greeting card sites but no reference to the background of the holiday. Such as- why was the month of December picked to celebrate this holiday or why the 4th day?? That's the question...
This holiday is still referred to as a "National" day. However, we did not find any congressional records or presidential proclamations for this day. Even though we didn't, this is still a holiday that is publicized to celebrate and we do in fact find people who celebrate this holiday.
We found plenty of recognition from calendar sites and personal Internet sites that blog and share information about this holiday.
So enjoy the day and have fun with it. Live everyday like a holiday!
Definition of A Hug as wikipedia describes it:
"A hug is a form of physical intimacy that generally involves closing or holding the arms around another person or group of persons." "The hug is one of the most common human signs of love and affection, along with kissing." "Unlike some other forms of physical intimacy, it is practiced publicly and privately without stigma in many nations, religions and cultures, within families, and also across age and gender lines."
Sometimes, hugs are a romantic exchange
"Hugs may also be exchanged as a sign of support and comfort." "A hug can be a demonstration of affection and emotional warmth, sometimes arising out of joy or happiness at meeting someone."
"Brief in most cases, it is used to show many levels of affection." "It is not particular to human beings alone, as there are many species of animals that engage in similar exchanges of warmth."
Hugging has been proven to have health benefits
"One study has shown that hugs increase levels of oxytocin, and reduce blood pressure."
There are different variations of hugs
- Prolonged hugging in a cozy, comfortable position is called cuddling
- Spooning is a cuddling position, a kind of hugging when both the hugger and the hugged persons face the same direction, i.e., the front of one person is in contact with the back of the second one.
Other December Holidays around the world
How can I Celebrate this holiday?
- Every Holiday deserves a party! - Get ready for your next party by shopping for the lastest supplies to make your holday a real hit. We found a place that sales products for children and adult parties both.
- Send Free Internet Invitations! - If your ready to get together with your friends don't forget to invite them by email with these fun Internet Invitations. They are always fun & FREE!
- Homemade Bath Crafts! - Why not try making your own bath products. Some of the pages below has recipes listed-