Copyright 2004 & Up / Gone-ta-pott.com - All rights reserved.
Types of Holidays
Definition of Meat & Vegetable Soup
Large chunks of meat or vegetables left in the liquid
- Ajiaco- A chicken soup from Colombia
- Avgolemono - A Greek chicken soup with lemon and egg
- Bourou-Bourou - A vegetable & pasta soup from the island of Easter Island, Greece
- Borscht - (Slavic) beet and veal soup
- Chamin & Cholent - (Israel) a vegetarian or kosher meat stew prepared in honor of the Shabbat
- Canja de Galinha- A Portuguese soup of chicken, rice and lemon.
- Caldo verde - A Portuguese minced cabbage soup
- Cazuela - (South American) and (Spanish) soup, composed of a clear broth, rice, potato, squash or pumpkin, corn and chicken or beef. It combines native and introduced ingredients.
- Cock-a-leekie - Leek and potato soup made with chicken stock, from Scotland
- Faki soupa - A Greek lentil soup, with carrots, olive oil, herbs and possibly tomato sauce or vinegar.
- Fasolada - Traditional Greek bean soup
- Fufu and Egusi soup - A traditional soup from Nigeria made with vegetables, meat, fish, and balls of ground melon seed
- Goulash- A Hungarian soup of beef, pork, paprika, peppers, tomato, potato and onion
- Gumbo - A traditional Creole soup from the American South, thickened with okra pods.
- Íslensk Kjötsúpa - Traditional Icelandic meat soup made with lamb and vegetables.
- Kharcho - A Georgian soup of lamb, rice, vegetables and a highly spiced boullion.
- Kimchi jjigae - (Korean) kimchi stew
- Lagman - A traditional Uzbek soup of pasta, vegetables, ground lamb and numerous spices.
- Lentil soup- A soup popular in the Middle East and Mediterranean.
- Leek soup - A simple soup made from Leeks popular in Wales during St. David's Day
- Menudo (Mexican) tripe, calf's feet, chiles, hominy and seasonings
- Minestrone - (Italian) vegetable soup, with noodles
- Mulligan Stew - made with whatever is to hand
- Patsás - A Greek tripe soup
- Philadelphia Pepper Pot - beef tripe pepper soup
- Pozole - (Mexican) thick, hearty soup made of pork or chicken meat and broth, hominy, onion, garlic, dried chiles and cilantro
- Pho- A Vietnamese beef/chicken soup with scallion, welsh onion, cherred ginger, wild coriander, basil, cinnamon, star anise, cloves and black cardamom.
- Revithia - A Greek chickpea soup
- Sundubu jjigae - (Korean) mild tofu stew with spicy seasoning
- Samgyetang - (Korean) chicken ginseng soup made with glutinous rice, jujubes, chestnuts, garlic, and ginger
- Snert - A thick pea soup, eaten in the Netherlands as a winter dish, traditionally served with sliced sausage.
- Shchav, a sorrel soup in Polish, Russian and Yiddish cuisines
- Solyanka - A cabbage soup from Russia
- Tarhana soup - from Greece
- Tomato soup (pomidorowa) - Traditional Hungarian and Polish soup made of tomato
- Winter melon soup is a Chinese soup, winter melon, filled with stock, usually chicken stock vegetables and meat, that has been steamed for hours.
- Żurek - A Polish wheat soup with sausages often served in a bowl made of bread.
This page celebrates all soup holidays!
Other Soup Related Pages