What is a Corn Chip?
"A corn chip is a snack food made from cornmeal fried in oil or baked, usually in the shape of a small noodle or scoop." "Corn chips are thick, rigid and very crunchy." "Corn chips have the strong aroma and flavor of roasted corn, and are often heavily dusted with salt."
"In the US, Fritos is one of the oldest and most widely recognized brands of corn chips."
"While American-style corn chips and tortilla chips are both made from corn, the corn in tortilla chips is subjected to the nixtamalization process, resulting in a milder flavor and aroma, and a less rigid texture." "Tortilla chips also tend to be larger, thinner, and less salty than American-style corn chips."
"Corn chips are most often eaten alone or with a chip dip." "They are a common ingredient in homemade and commercial party mix." "In the Southwestern US, a popular dish is made by adding chili to a bag of corn chips and eating the mixture from the bag."
Origin of this Holiday
Our research did not find the creator, or the origin of this day. It is possible this holiday may of been created by the greeting card industry because we find reference to it on greeting card sites that say-
It's Corn Chip Day. Celebrate it in style by gorging on lotsa crispy corn chips and sharing some crispy moments with your loved ones. Send delicious ecards to your friends
This holiday is referred to as a "National" day- However, we did not find any congressional records or presidential proclamations for this day. Even though we didn't, this is still a holiday that is publicized to celebrate. So enjoy the day and have fun with it.
We found recognition about this holiday from:
calendar sites and personal Internet sites that blog and share information about this holiday. Many of these blogs talk in great detail about chip-n-dips being great party food.
How is this Holiday celebrated?
by: Pamela P. Svoboda
On National Corn Chip Day everyone is encouraged to enjoy a big bowl of corn chips and share them with friends, family and work mates. Here's some great ideas for celebrating this Food Holiday.
- Idea 1) Make a homemade Dip to go with it. You can't beat homemade and do you know what the #1 dip is for corn chips? It's Chili Dip! Chili dip is simply cooked chili that has been blended up in a blender so it dips easily. Do you know what the #2 favorite dip is for corn chips? It's Salsa of course! Corn chips are not as popular with salsa as tortillia chips are but they are delicious just the same. Did you know there are many different types of salsa? Yep, each and everyone one is delicious too. Visit our salsa section for recipes and food facts.
- Idea 2) Celebrate this holiday by hosting a Nachos party. Nachos and corn chips go hand in hand. Delicious melted cheese, hot meat, diced tomatoes- my mouth is watering right now.
- Idea 3) Suprise your employees today with some corn chips and dip. They won't be expecting it and how much they will love the snack during break time.
- Idea 4) Make your own homemade corn chips- corn chips are really make with corn!
- Idea 5) Enjoy Frito Pie: Wikipedia says "Frito pie is a dish made from chili, cheese, and corn chips." "It is popular in the Southern and Southwestern United States, particularly the states of Texas, New Mexico, and Oklahoma." "Frito pie is typically made by combining Fritos or other corn chips with chili, cheese, and onions in a large pan and baking it as a casserole." "Because so many chips are used in the dish, they tend to be moistened but not soggy from the chili." "An alternative method uses a small, single-serving bag of corn chips, with chili or taco meat poured over the top." The combination is then finished with grated cheese, onions, jalapeños, lettuce, and sour cream." "This second method is sometimes called a walking taco in the Midwestern United States due to the ease with which one can eat it while walking." "It is almost always eaten from the bag with a plastic fork." "Served in this way, frito pies are popular at sports venues, fundraisers, open houses, and state fairs." See Frito Pie Recipe
Other January Holidays around the world
Dinner has always been associated with special occasions, with special moments, with persons who matter the most... Invite your friend, sweetheart, family or loved ones for dinner with these classy and warm Dinner Invitation ecards.
When is this Holiday celebrated?
National Corn Chip Day is celebrated on
January 29th each and every year!