When is "Family Day"?
There's more than one family day holiday!
See the list below.
- South Africa: After 1995, Easter Monday was renamed Family Day. In 2007, it was observed on April 9.
- Australian Capital Territory: Family & Community Day is celebrated on the first Tuesday of November, which coincides with the Melbourne Cup. This public holiday was declared in 2007 under section 3(1)(b) of the Holidays Act 1953 (ACT) and is expected to be declared again in 2008. In his speech to the Australian Capital Territory Legislative Assembly, Mr. Andrew Barr, the ACT Minister for Industrial Relations stated the purpose of the new public holiday was: "...to enable workers to take a break from their hectic working lives and to spend some quality time with their family and friends. ... Australians do work the longest hours of any country in the western world. We do deserve a break.
- Canada: Officially there is no federally-established Family Day, although such a date is established by some provinces as a statutory holiday on the third Monday each February thereby coinciding with the US holiday Presidents Day.
- National Family Week is put on each year by the Canadian Association of Family Resource Programs, a non-profit organization. It is not a statutory holiday, but is generally recognized and celebrated by community organizations across the country.
- Ontario: Ontario's Family Day takes place on the third Monday of February and it is a statutory holiday. It was established on October 11, 2007, following the 2007 fall Ontario election campaign when Premier Dalton McGuinty was re-elected, and the first one was on February 18, 2008. see resource link/family day in Ontario
- Saskatchewan: In October 2006, Saskatchewan's Premier proposed the holiday for the province, beginning in 2007. The bill for the Labour Standards Amendment Act, 2006, was introduced in the legislature on November 1, 2006, and received Royal Assent on December 6. The act officially declares the third Monday of each February Family Day and came into effect immediately; the first Family Day in Saskatchewan was February 19, 2007.
- United States: Family Day was first proclaimed as a national holiday by President George Bush on September-
- United States:American Family Day is a state holiday in Arizona and has been celebrated on the first Sunday in August since 1978. American Family Day is a party planner for corporations in the contiguous United States founded in 1985 in Marietta, GA.
United States National Family Day
Note: Family Day was first proclaimed as a national holiday by President George Bush, always in September... but...
there is reference to a National FamilyDay™ that was created by KidsPeace®, one of the largest organizations helping kids overcome crisis, and is an annual holiday held every year on a Sunday in March to recognize the importance of family. "It's a time to remember heritage, interact and communicate, share values, and renew our commitment to nurture and grow strong families, because strong and supportive families give kids peace."
United States National Family Day
proclaimed by President George Bush
A Proclamation by the President of the United States of America
Strong families are essential to the well-being of our Nation. On Family Day, we celebrate the relationship between parents and their children, and we recognize the importance of families spending time together.
As a source of hope, guidance, stability, and love for every generation, families both teach and exemplify the values and virtues needed in today's changing world. As parents and as role models to America's children, we can help prepare our children for a bright future by offering steadfast support and unconditional love.
The character of a child is formed in his or her earliest years by the love and guidance of family members and other caring individuals. Since 2001, my Administration has worked to strengthen the American family, and we have worked with faith-based and community organizations to promote healthy marriages and responsible fatherhood. By striving to ensure that children remain connected to their families, communities, places of worship, and schools, we are helping them make good choices and build lives of purpose.
Parents are the primary teachers of our Nation's youth, and they are the first ones to educate them about the differences between right and wrong. By being proactive and involved in a child's life, families pass along the traditions and principles that help make America a compassionate, decent, and hopeful society.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim September 22, 2008, as Family Day. I call upon the people of the United States to observe this day by engaging in activities that strengthen the bonds between children and parents.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this nineteenth day of September, in the year of our Lord two thousand eight, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-third.
GEORGE W. BUSH
What type of holiday is this?
Are there other related holidays? Yes!
Family Health & Fitness Day USA: is a national health and fitness event for families (always on the last Saturday in September.) The event's purpose is to promote family involvement in physical activity, one of the goals of the U.S. Surgeon General's Report on Physical Activity and Health.
How can I Celebrate this holiday?
- Blog with us about it! - We have a blog called "Everyday is a Holiday" so visit our pages and tell us about your favorite cleaning day or your favorite cleaner recipe.
- Send Free E-Greeting! - If your ready to get together with your friends don't forget to invite them with these fun Internet Invitations.
You may also be interested in: