Origin of this Holiday?
Our research did not find the creator, or the origin of this day.
This holiday is referred to as a "National" day. However, we did not find any congressional records or presidential proclamations for this day. Even though we didn't, this is still a holiday that is publicized to celebrate. So have fun with it and celebrate it!
What is the definition of a hat?
A hat is a headcovering. It may be worn for protection against the elements, for religious reasons, for safety, or as a fashion accessory. In the past, hats were an indicator of social status. In the military, they denote rank and regiment.
There are hats for men and hats for women, as well as hats worn by both sexes. Purveyors of men's hats are called hatters and purveyors of women's hats are called milliners.
Other September 15th Holidays and observances
September 15 is the 258th day of the year (259th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 107 days remaining until the end of the year.
- U.S. - National Thank-You Day
- U.S. - National Care Givers Day
- U.S. - International Sing-out Day
- U.S. - National POW/MIA Recognititon Day
- Alaska - Marriage Fidelity Day (Alaska) "Therefore, I, Frank H. Murkowski, Governor of the State of Alaska, do hereby proclaim September 15, 2004, as: Marriage Fidelity Day in Alaska, and encourage Alaskans to remember and observe their vows of marriage." Source: www.gov.state.ak.us/archive
- Independence Day - Sept. 15 for Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua.
- Slovakia - Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows.
Fun September 15 Calendar Facts
Alexander Fleming discovers Penicillin, 1928
TV's 'The Lone Ranger' (Debuted in 1949)
"USA Today" was first published, 1982
How can I Celebrate this holiday?
- Have a felt hat making party! - It's fun to create and everyone loves to get in on all the fun.
- Blog with us about it! - We have a blog called "Everyday is a Holiday" so visit our pages and tell us about your favorite cleaning day or your favorite cleaner recipe.
- Send Free E-Greeting! - If your ready to get together with your friends don't forget to invite them with these fun Internet Invitations.
You may also be interested in these other related pages.
National Fall Hat week in the 4th week of September.
What is Felt?
Felt is a non-woven cloth that is produced by matting, condensing and pressing fibers. While some types of felt are very soft, some are tough enough to form construction materials. Felt can be of any color, and made into any shape or size. Craft stores carry a large supply of different colors that's perfect for kids crafts.
Felt is the oldest form of fabric known to humankind. Felt hats were popular back in the early 1900s.
When is National Felt Hat Day?
National Felt Hat Day is always September 15.
What is this Holiday for?
On National Felt Hat Day both men and women are encouraged to wear a felt hat all day long. Kids are encouraged to join in on all the fun by crafting their own felt hats and wearing them. (September 15 is also Make A Hat Day) So pull out those felt hats and felt craft supplies and join in the tradition of wearing one on September 15th. Show everyone that you celebrate felt hats!