When is National Noodle Month?
The month of March is always National Noodle Month
The month of October is National Pasta Month
Are there other Holidays related?
What is a Noodle any way?
A noodle is made from unleavened dough that has been shaped into thin flat strips or round cylinders and cooked in a boiling liquid. Depending upon the type, noodles may be dried or refrigerated before cooking. The word noodle derives from the German Nudel (noodle) and may be related to the Latin word nodus (knot). In English, noodle is a generic term for unleavened dough made from many different types of ingredients and includes a variety of shapes.
What's the Difference Between
Pasta and Noodles?
There are two basic forms of pasta
*macaroni and *noodles.
* Macaroni products are made from semolina and water.
* Noodles are made from Durum flour (a more finely ground form of semolina), water and, by Federal regulation, egg solids. So, without the egg solids, a pasta product can't be identified as a noodle.
The first written account of noodles is from the East Han Dynasty between AD 25 and 220. In October 2005, the oldest noodles yet discovered were found at the Lajia site (Qijia culture) along the Yellow River in Qinghai, China. The 4,000-year-old noodles appear to have been made from foxtail millet and broomcorn millet.
Types of noodle dishes
* Basic noodles: These are cooked in water or broth, then drained. Other foods can be added (for example a pasta sauce ) In general, noodles are soft and absorb flavors.
* Chilled noodles: noodles are sometimes served in a salad. In Japan, traditional Japanese noodles such as soba and somen are often served chilled with a dipping sauce. Some western dishes like pasta salads also call for cold noodles.
* Fried noodles: dishes made of noodles stir fried with various meats, seafood or vegetables. Typical examples include chow mein, lo mein, mee goreng, hokkien mee, some varieties of pancit, yakisoba and pad thai.
* Noodle soup: noodles served in broth. Examples are beef noodle soup, ramen, laksa, saimin and batchoy, and chicken noodle soup.
How can I Celebrate National Noodle Month?
- Share a homemade noodle dish with your family and friends! - If it's winter time in the area your from, make a big warming pot of chicken noodle soup. Did you know that chicken noodle soup is a healing meal?
- Blog with us about Noodles! - We have a blog called "Everyday is a Holiday" so visit our Noodle Soup Day page and tell us what you think about noodles
- Send Free Noodle E-Greeting!