Pasta & Sauce
When making delicious pasta dishes, be sure to choose a pasta shape and sauce that complement each other.
- Thin, delicate pastas like angel hair or thin spaghetti, should be served with light, thin sauces.
- Thicker pasta shapes, like fettuccine, work well with heavier sauces.
- Pasta shapes with holes or ridges like mostaccioli or radiatore, are perfect for chunkier sauces.
Homemade Basic Tomato Sauce:
This is the first sauce that beginners learn how to make. It's a very good basic sauce, and easy to adapt to a variety of uses. This sauce is also the base to many wonderful main dish recipes.
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato puree
salt and pepper to taste
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook onion in olive oil until translucent. Stir in tomatoes, cook until juice begins to thicken. Stir in puree, salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes more, until rich and thick.
- Fresh, home-grown tomatoes always' make wonderful sauces for your favorite pasta dishes.
- For more richness, add 1 cup of chicken stock and reduce down.
- Variation, add red wine or red wine vinegar, reduce.
- You can add whatever herbs and spices you like ( like basil ) just to add to the flavor.
- Add it to it! Bell peppers, red peppers, garlic.
Pasta / Noodle Related