There are many reasons to celebrate May 27th! May 27 is the 147th day of the year (148th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 218 days remaining until the end of the year. Follow our list below for some great reasons to celebrate this day.
Children's Day is celebrated on May 27 in Nigeria. It is a public holiday for Primary and Secondary school children. Depending on the state, a group of children are selected to march. The children are usually given treats such as an outing or doing jobs that adults would normally do.In some situations, primary and secondary school children compete in military parades format for a prize which will be given at the end of the competition-
Children's Day is celebrated on various days in many places around the world, in particular to honor children. Major global variants include a Universal Children's Day on November 20, by United Nations recommendation. Children's Day is often celebrated on other days as well.
Grape Popsicle Day
Popsicle is a popular brand of ice pop in the United States and Canada and became a genericized trademark for any type of ice pop due to its popularity. The first ice pop was created by accident in 1905 when 11-year-old Frank Epperson left a glass of homemade soda on his porch on a very cold San Francisco night. The next morning he went to go get the soda and it was frozen. Using the stirring stick that he had also left in the glass, he pulled it out and tried it. "Popsicle" is a trademark held by Unilever.
• Armed Forces Day (Nicaragua)
• May 27 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
• Mother's Day or Día de la Madre (Bolivia)
• Slavery Abolition Day (Guadeloupe, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Martin)
• Special Recreation for Disabled Day
• Old-Time Player Piano Day
• National Orange Blossom Day
• National Columnists Day
• Captain Kangaroo's Birthday
• Decide to Be Married Day
• "Happy Birthday To You" Day
• National HIV Testing Day
• National Columnists Day
• Sunglasses Day
• Helen Keller's Birthday
• Cellophane Tape Day
Last Week in May
ALIA celebrates Library and Information week in May. Events are organised by libraries around Australia to encourage people to use their local libraries. Children's librarians hold a special event known as National Simultaneous Storytime, where public and school libraries read the same book, at 11 am EST, to children around Australia.
Christian Feast Day:
• Augustine of Canterbury
• Bruno of Würzburg
• Eutropius of Orange
• Julius the Veteran
• Today used to be National Wig Out Day.
• Last Sunday in May: Mother's Day in Algeria, Dominican Republic, France, Haiti, Mauritius, Morocco, Sweden, Tunisia.
• Last Sunday in May: Children's Day in Hungary.
• Memorial Day (June 27 / for the year 2013) In the U.S., Memorial Day is always observed on the last Monday in May. The holiday honors members of the military who died in service to their country.