Definition of a Tea Sandwich: "A tea sandwich is a small prepared sandwich meant to be eaten at afternoon teatime to stave off hunger until the main meal."
Photo Above: The bread is lightly toasted dark rye. Using salmon spread, a bit of lettuce mix, mayonaise & mustard. The yummie photo above is by amanky from flickr(license)
Salmon Spread Recipe
Salmon Spread (for tea sandwiches)
1 large can of salmon
1 pkg of cream cheese
1 "splash" of pickle juice (aprox. 1 tbsp)
Mix the salmon into softened cream cheese with a fork, until smooth.
Add a splash of pickle juice to give it a kick of taste.
Spread onto bread.
Smoked Salmon Sandwiches
1 cup soft cream cheese
20 slices bread, your choice
1/2 cup capers
12 ounces thin-sliced smoked salmon
Juice of 1 lemon
Spread the cream cheese on 1 side of each slice of bread. Dot with capers. Arrange the smoked salmon on 10 of the bread slices and brush with lemon juice. Pepper generously. Top with the other 10 slices spread thinly with butter, remove the crusts and cut. Makes 40 tea sandwiches or 30 fingers.
- Freezing the bread before cutting/ cutting cold bread is much easier.
- Spread filling while sandwich is still stiff from being froze (slightly thowing out) it makes for easier handling.
- If a recipe calls for a bit of pickle juice; try some with sweet pickle juice and some with dill pickle juice.
- If the recipe calls for one slice of bread spread with a thin layer of butter; the butter of choice is usually Unsalted butter. Butter should be at room temperature before spreading / less of a chance for bread tearing.
- To cut down on sandwiches becoming limp and soggy, spread the butter to the edge of the bread.
- Sandwich presentation: the outer crust is cut off of most tea sandwiches and cut into triangles or long finger shapes. Many times sandwiches made with seafood (shrimp, crab, salmon etc.) it's common for the sandwiches to be cut with fish shaped cookie cutters to give the guests a reminder that it's seafood
Dinner has always been associated with special occasions, with special moments, with persons who matter the most... Invite your friend, sweetheart, family or loved ones for dinner with these classy and warm Dinner Invitation ecards.