How is this holiday celebrated?
It's a day to celebrate everything science fiction!
Most of our research shows that this day is celebrated by sending fun greeting cards and enjoying a day of science fiction fun- such as watching science fiction movies, watching history on UFO's and even having some classroom fun by having a science fiction day at school. We are encouraged on this day to make ourselves aware of the posibilities of space, our universe and the idea of aliens.
More and more people are celebrating this holiday each year because so many people love science fiction. As the popularity of this holiday gains strength, we find that science fiction lovers turn this day into a day (night) of looking up at the stars.
Origin of this Holiday
Our research did not find the creator, or the origin of this day.
It is possible this holiday may of been created by the greeting card industry because we find reference to it on greeting card sites but no reference to the background of the holiday. Such as- why the month of January and why the 2nd day?? That's the question...
This holiday is still referred to as a "National" day. However, we did not find any congressional records or presidential proclamations for this day. Even though we didn't, this is still a holiday that is publicized to celebrate.
So enjoy the day and have fun with it. Live everyday like a holiday!
If you are new to this holiday:
If you are new to this holiday; then maybe you would like to find more information about science fiction. We found that Amazon.com is a popular Internet Site for finding books on science fiction, information and supplies.
Definition of Science Fiction
Wikipedia encyclopedia says "Science fiction (abbreviated SF or sci-fi with varying punctuation and capitalization) is a broad genre of fiction that often involves speculations based on current or future science or technology." "Science fiction is found in books, art, television, films, games, theatre, and other media." "In organizational or marketing contexts, science fiction can be synonymous with the broader definition of speculative fiction, encompassing creative works incorporating imaginative elements not found in contemporary reality; this includes fantasy, horror, and related genres."
"Science fiction differs from fantasy in that, within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation)." "Exploring the consequences of such differences is the traditional purpose of science fiction, making it a ""literature of ideas"". "Science fiction is largely based on writing entertainingly and rationally about alternate possibilities in settings that are contrary to known reality."
These may include:
- A setting in the future, in alternative time lines, or in a historical past that contradicts known facts of history or the archeological record
- A setting in outer space, on other worlds, or involving aliens
- Stories that involve technology or scientific principles that contradict known laws of nature
- Stories that involve discovery or application of new scientific principles, such as time travel or psionics, or new technology, such as nanotechnology, faster-than-light travel or robots, or of new and different political or social systems
Other January Holidays around the world
How can I Celebrate this holiday?
- Every Holiday deserves a party! - Get ready for your next party by shopping for the lastest supplies to make your holday a real hit. We found a place that sales products for children and adult parties both.
- Send Free Internet Invitations! - If your ready to get together with your friends don't forget to invite them by email with these fun Internet Invitations. They are always fun & FREE!