June 9 is National Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day and January 23rd in our Calendar is: National Rhubarb Pie Day!
Definition: Rhubarb Pie
Rhubarb pie is a pie that is particularly popular in those areas where the rhubarb plant is commonly cultivated, including the British Isles and the New England region of the United States. Besides diced rhubarb, it almost always contains a large amount of sugar to balance the intense tartness of the plant.
In Canada and the United States Strawberry-rhubarb pie is a popular late-spring pie, generally combining the last rhubarb of the season with the first of the strawberries.
Kosher Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe
1 unbaked 8-inch two-crust pie shell
1 cup sliced strawberries
3 Tbsps. flour
2 tsps. cinnamon
2 cups sliced rhubarb
1 cup sugar
½ tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 425.
In a large bowl beat eggs with fork and add strawberries, flour, cinnamon, rhubarb, sugar and salt and mix well. Pour into pie shell. Top with second crust and flute edges together. Bake for 40 minutes. Cool.
USE: 8-inch pie plate
YIELDS: 1 pie
Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe
1 double pie shell
4 cups fresh rhubarb, sliced into 3/4-inch pieces
1 cup honey
6 tablespoons arrowroot
2 cups thickly sliced fresh strawberries
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
1. Fit bottom crust into a 10-inch pie plate. Refrigerate the dough and rolled-out crust.
2. Put sliced rhubarb into a colander with a bowl underneath. Pour honey over rhubarb and allow to drain 1 hour. In a saucepan, mix arrowroot with half of the drained honey. Heat until thickened over low heat, then add the rest of the honey.
3. Preheat oven to 350F.
4. Mix rhubarb and strawberries together in bowl. Add honey mixture along with cinnamon and flour. Gently toss to mix.
5. Pour into prepared pie shell. Roll out top crust and place on top. Join crusts, fluting edges. Slash top so steam can escape.
6. Bake one hour in preheated oven. Allow to cool, then refrigerate a few hours to set (if you can stand to wait that long).
Serves 8 to 10.
Glazed Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie
1 1/4 c Sugar
1/8 ts Salt
1/3 c Flour
2 c Fresh strawberries
2 c Fresh rhubarb, cut in 1" pieces
2 T Butter or margarine
1 T Sugar
1 Pastry for 2-crust pie
Combine 1 1/4 cup sugar, salt, and flour. Arrange half the strawbwerries and rhubarb in a pastry-lined 9 inch pie pan. Sprinkle with half the sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining fruit and sugar mixture. Dot with butter. Install top crust and flute edges to make high-standing rim. Brush top of pie with cold water and sprinkle on 1 tablespoon sugar. Cut steam vents in top crust. Bake in hot oven (425 F) 40 to 50 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and crust is browned.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
1 teaspoon orange zest
4 cups diced rhubarb
3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1-1/2 cups white sugar
6 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon white sugar for decoration
1 cup all-purpose flour (optional)
1 cup white sugar (optional)
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 cup butter (optional)
Preheat oven to 400F. Line a pie pan with bottom crust. Mix together rhubarb, strawberries, orange zest, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and tapioca. Spoon into crust. Roll out second crust, and place over the filling. Seal the edges. Brush with milk, and sprinkle extra sugar on top. Bake at 400F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F, and bake for an additional 35 minutes.
For a crumb topping, omit top pie crust. Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, and salt. Cut in butter or margarine until mixture is crumbly. Spoon over filling, and bake as directed above.
A look into other National Pie Holidays
- February is Great American Pie month.
- February is National Cherry Month
- February 20, National Cherry Pie Day.
- October 21: National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day.
- December 1 is: eat a pie day.
- December 25: National Pumpkin Pie Day.
Learn more about Savoury pies and sweet pies on our