Ingredients for thick crust (makes 2 pizzas)
- 1 can of tuttorosso tomato sauce (12 oz)
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Various topics - pepperoni, onions, peppers
Sauce preparation (makes 2 pizzas)
1) Pour can of tomato sauce into a mixing bowl
2) Add 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon parsley, 1 teaspoon basil, 1/4 teaspoon oregano, and 1 tablespoon crushed garlic to bowl
3) Stir, and set aside
Dough preparation (makes 1 pizza)
Kneading the dough
4) Mix 1 packet of yeast with 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water. Stir
5) Pour yeast/water into bowl containing 2 1/2 cups flour. Stir
6) Spread out wax paper. Sprinkle with flour. Pour dough out of mixing bowl onto wax paper. Knead. Repeatedly add more flour until dough feels fairly dry and consistent.
7) Sprinkle bowl with flour. Roll dough into a ball, sprinkle outside with flour, and put into bowl.
8) Cover bowl with a towel. Let stand for 2 hours.
Pizza with all the toppings added, ready to cook
9) Preheat oven to 350-375 degrees.
10) Coat bottom and sides of aluminum pan with vegetable oil (about 2-3 tablespoons)
11) Lay out wax paper, and sprinkle a layer of flour on top.
12) Flatten dough on wax paper using rolling pin
13) Put dough in pan
14) Make ridge around outside of dough
15) Add sauce, mozzarella, toppings
16) Cook in oven for 30 minutes
See More About:
The bottom base of the pizza
(called the "crust" in the United States and Canada) may vary widely according to style–thin as in hand-tossed pizza or Roman pizza, or thick as in pan pizza or Chicago-style pizza. It is traditionally plain, but may also be seasoned with butter, garlic, or herbs, or stuffed with cheese.