Copyright 2004 & Up / Gone-ta-pott.com - All rights reserved.
Types of Holidays
"Your Holiday Directory"
Traditional Regional Soups
Traditional regional soup list
- Ajiaco - A chicken soup from Colombia
- Avgolemono - A Greek chicken soup with lemon and egg
- Bajajou - A soup of Slovakian origin. Ingredients include boiled cow intestines, chicken egg, onion and rice.
- Bird's nest soup is a delicacy in Chinese cuisine.
- Borscht - A beet-vegetable soup originally from Ukraine and Russia.
- Bouillabaisse - A fish soup from Marseille (Southern France. Also made in other Mediterranean regions. In Catalonia it is called Bullebesa.
- Bourou-Bourou - A vegetable & pasta soup from the island of Easter Island, Greece
- Bisque - A thick, creamy, highly-seasoned soup, classically of pureed crustaceans, of French origin.
- Canja de Galinha- A Portuguese soup of chicken, rice and lemon.
- Caldo verde - A Portuguese minced cabbage soup
- Callaloo - A thick, creamy soup made with okra and, often, crab meat from Trinidad and Tobago
- Canh chua (sour soup) - A Vietnamese dish made with rice, fish, various vegetables, and in some cases pineapple.
- Cock-a-leekie - Leek and potato soup made with chicken stock, from Scotland
- Clam chowder - two major types, New England Clam Chowder, made with potatoes and cream, and Manhattan Clam Chowder, made with a tomato base.
- Cullen Skink - A fish soup made with Smoked Haddock, potatoes, onions and cream from Scotland
- Egg drop soup, a savory Chinese soup made from adding already-beaten eggs into boiling water or broth.
- Etrog, a fruit soup made up from the citron used in Jewish Ritual at the feast of Succoth, is eaten by Ashkenazi Jews at Tu Bishvat.
- Maryland Crab Soup - A soup made of vegetables, blue crab, and Old Bay Seasoning in a tomato base. From Maryland, United States.
- Faki soupa - A Greek lentil soup, with carrots, olive oil, herbs and possibly tomato sauce or vinegar.
- Fanesca - A traditional cod soup from Ecuador
- Fasolada - Traditional Greek bean soup
- Fufu and Egusi soup - A traditional soup from Nigeria made with vegetables, meat, fish, and balls of ground melon seed
- Goulash- A Hungarian soup of beef, paprika and onion.
- Gumbo - A traditional Creole soup from the Southern United States, thickened with okra pods.
- Halászlé or Fisherman's Soup, a Hungarian very hot and spicy river fish soup with a lot of hot paprika
- Íslensk Kjötsúpa - Traditional Icelandic meat soup made with lamb and vegetables.
- Kharcho - A Georgian soup of lamb, rice, vegetables and a highly spiced boullion.
- Lagman - A traditional Uzbek soup of pasta, vegetables, ground lamb and numerous spices.
- Lan Sikik - A Thai soup made with noodle, dried fish and tomato extract.
- Lentil soup - A soup popular in the Middle East and Mediterranean.
- Leek soup - A simple soup made from Leeks popular in Wales during Saint David's Day
- Menudo - A traditional Mexican soup with tripe and hominy.
- Minestrone - An Italian vegetable soup
- Miso soup - A Japanese soup made from fish broth and fermented soy
- Mulligatawny Soup - An Anglo-Indian curried soup
- Noodle soup - A very diverse collection
- Patsás - A Greek tripe soup
- Snert - A thick pea soup, eaten in the Netherlands as a winter dish, traditionally served with sliced sausage. Also known as erwtensoep.
- Philadelphia Pepper Pot Soup - A Philadelphia specialty, traditionally made with tripe.
- Psarosoupa - A Greek fish soup. There are various versions of it and could be made with a variety of fish types.
- PhQ-(spelling) A Vietnamese beef/chicken soup with scallion, welsh onion, cherred ginger, wild coriander (Eryngium foetidum), basil, cinnamon, star anise, cloves and black cardamom.
- Revithia - A Greek chickpea soup
- She-crab soup - from Charleston, South Carolina, a creamy soup made with blue crab meat and crab roe.
- Shchav, a sorrel soup in Polish, Russian and Yiddish cuisines
- Solyanka - A cabbage soup from Russia
- Tarator - A Bulgarian cold soup made from yogurt and cucumbers
- Trahana soup, from Greece
- Tomato soup (pomidorowa) - Traditional polish soup made of tomato concentrate
- Vichyssoise - A French-style soup invented by a French chef at the Ritz Hotel in NYC. French cold purée soup with potatoes, leeks, and cream.
- Waterzooi - A Belgian fish soup
- Żurek - A Polish wheat soup with sausages often served in a bowl made of bread.
This page celebrates all soup holidays!