When is "United Nations Day"?
United Nations Day, proclaimed in 1948 by the United Nations General Assembly, is held annually on 24 October, the anniversary of the coming into force of the UN Charter on 24 October 1945.
What is this Holiday for?
United Nations Day is devoted to making known to peoples of the world the aims and achievements of the United Nations Organization. United Nations Day is part of United Nations Week, which runs from 20 October to 26 October.
"The United Nations is dedicated to world peace and to the betterment of humanity through a wide range of program from world hunger to environment and health issues." "Almost all of the more than100 countries in the world are members of this organization."
Origin of this Holiday?
United Nations Day has traditionally been marked throughout the world with meetings, discussions and exhibits about the achievements and goals of the organization. In 1971, the General Assembly recommended that Member States observe it as a public holiday.
Several international schools throughout the world also celebrate the diversity of their student body on United Nations Day (although the event is not necessarily celebrated on 24 October). Celebrations often include a show of cultural performances in the evening and a food fair, where food is available from all over the world.
In the United States, the President has issued a proclamation each year for United Nations Day since 1946.
In Kosovo, United Nations Day is an official non-working day as the province is administered by UNMIK.
What type of holiday is this?
How can I Celebrate this holiday?
- Blog with us about it! - We have a blog called "Everyday is a Holiday" so visit our pages and tell us about your favorite cleaning day or your favorite cleaner recipe.
- Send Free E-Greeting! - If your ready to get together with your friends don't forget to invite them with these fun Internet Invitations.
Resource links for more research:
Other October 24 holidays around the world
October 24 is the 297th day of the year (298th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 68 days remaining until the end of the year.
- The UN's World Development Information Day has also been held on 24 October since 1972.
- Poire (Pear) Day, third day in the Month of Brumaire
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)