When is World Vegetarian Day / Month?
World Vegetarian Day is observed annually on October 1st.
World Vegetarian Awareness Month is also the month of October.
Who celebrates this holiday?
Vegetarians!! And even those who are not vegetarians but love to be healthy or love fruits and veggies.
"Every year on October 1st, World Vegetarian Day kicks off a month of parties, potluck, presentations, food tasting displays...and lots of friendly discussions."
What is this Holiday for?
"For those new to vegetarianism, it serves as an enticement to give meatless fare a try."
"To promote the joy, compassion and life-enhancing possibilities of vegetarianism."
"It brings awareness to the ethical, environmental, health and humanitarian benefits of a vegetarian lifestyle."
Origin of this Holiday?
It is a day of celebration established by the North American Vegetarian Society in 1977.
How can I Celebrate this holiday?
- Blog with us about it! - We have a blog called "Everyday is a Holiday" so visit our pages and tell us about your favorite cleaning day or your favorite cleaner recipe.
- Send Free E-Greeting! - If your ready to get together with your friends don't forget to invite them with these fun Internet Invitations.
Types of Vegetarian Diets
It's important to note that all vegetarian diets are not alike.
Major vegetarian categories include:
- Vegan: eats only food from plant sources
- Many other people are semi-vegetarians who have eliminated red meat, but may eat poultry or fish.
Other October 1 Holidays and observances
October 1 is the 274th day of the year (275th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 91 days remaining until the end of the year.
- National Day of the People's Republic of China (1949)
- Republic of Cyprus - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- Nigeria - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- San Marino - two Captains Regent, elected by parliament, take office for six months.
- Tuvalu - Independence Day (from Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), 1975)
- French Republican Calendar - Cuve (Barrel) Day, tenth day in the Month of Vendémiaire
- Singapore - Children's Day
You may also be interested in: