Are you celebrating one of the National Dog Holiday? This page will help make all your celebrations a fun experience for both you and your dog! Read our holidays and fun facts! Plan a dog party and pass on the love of animals!
Dog (Canis lupus familiaris)
"The dog is a domesticated subspecies of the gray wolf, a mammal of the Canidae family of the order Carnivora. The term encompasses both feral and pet varieties and is also sometimes used to describe wild canids of other subspecies or species. The domestic dog has been one of the most widely kept working and companion animals in human history. There are estimated to be 400 million dogs in the world.
The dog has developed into hundreds of varied breeds. Height measured to the withers ranges from a few inches in the Chihuahua to a few feet in the Irish Wolfhound; color varies from white through grays (usually called blue) to black, and browns from light (tan) to dark ("red" or "chocolate") in a wide variation of patterns... wiki encyclopedia
Dog Holidays To Remember:
- Adopt-a-dog Month--October 1-31
- Adopt-a-Shelter-Dog Month: October
- National Dog Week--Last week of September
- International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day--February 23
- International Guide Dog Day - April 18
- Don't step in the dog poop day - April 25
- National Dog Bite Prevention Week: May 15-21
- Take Your Dog to Work Day: June 24
Growing up with Dogs
I have to say since we lived in the country we were able to have all types of pets. We had dogs, cats, goats, chickens and ginnies. It was so much fun growing up with them all.
Your Faithful Companion on "Dog Day."
Dogs are undoubtedly the best friends of man. Their unselfish love and selfless service are seldom matched by anyone else. So here is a day devoted to honor this special friend of ours. On this Dog Day send our ecards to all those people who love dogs. But hey ! Don't forget the others ! Reach out to them as well and let them know how wonderful it is to have the lovely dogs as pets.
Other Important Holidays
- February – Pet Dental Health Month (PetDental.com)
- April – National Pet First Aid Awareness Month (PetTech.com) and
- April - Prevention of Animal Cruelty Month (ASPCA)
- First week of May – Be Kind to Animals Week (the American Humane Society)
- August 19 – International Homeless Animals Day (the International Society for Animal Rights)
Please Help Save the Animals
Resources: This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses some material from Wikipedia/article / and other related pages. Top photo:
When I was growing up we were never without dogs. We always had German Shepard's and Chihuahua. They were our favorite. I also remember having a collie we called Chipper and a small little tan dog named Scruddles. We had a small little black and white dog we called Prissie who lived to be very old. We loved dogs and they made such great friends.