Weird Holidays for April? Yep we have them!
What's the first thing you think of when you hear the word "April"? Many of us think of spring rains right? I'm sure you remember the ever-so-popular saying- "April Showers Bring May Flowers"? Well April showers not only bring in the rain but it brings in some pretty weird, wild & wacky holidays too! Yep, April's not short on strange holidays to celebrate that's for sure! Why our calendar even has a holiday called April Showers Day!
Weird Holidays are popular World Wide!
Songkran: "The Thai New Year is celebrated every year from April 13 to April 15. It coincides with the New Year of many calendars of South and Southeast Asia. "The date of the festival was originally set by astrological calculation, but it is now fixed. If these days fall on a weekend, the missed days off are taken on the weekdays immediately following. If they fall in the middle of the week, many Thai take off from the previous Friday until the following Monday."
"The most obvious celebration of Songkran is the throwing of water. People roam the streets with containers of water or water guns, or post themselves at the side of roads with a garden hose and drench each other and passersby."
• Publicity Stunt Week--April 1-7
• National Read a Road Map Week - April 4-10
• National Fun Day - April 1
• Sorry Charlie Day - April 1
• Tweed Day - April 3
• World Rat Day - April 4
• Rubber Eraser Day - April 5
• No Housework Day - April 7
• All is Ours Day-April 8
• Name Yourself Day - April 9
• National Cherish An Antique Day - April 9
• International Louie Louie Day - April 11
• Eight-track Tape Day - April 11
• Walk on your wild side Day - April 12
• National Be Kind to Layers Day - April 14
• That Sucks Day - April 15
• High Five Day - April 16
• Blah Blah Blah Day - April 17
• Hanging Out Day - April 19
• National Pot Smokers Day - April 20 - see below
• Look A Like Day - April 20
• National Jelly Bean Day - April 22
• Talk Like Shakespeare Day - April 23
• Bulldogs Are Beautiful Day - April 24
• Sense of Smell Day - last Saturday
• National Pet Parent's Day - April 25
• Red Hat Society Day - April 25
• Hug An Australian Day - April 26
• Take our daughters & sons to work day - April 26
• Morse Code Day - April 27
• National Hairball Awareness Day - April 30
• National Honesty Day - April 30
• Spank Out Day - April 3
• Blame Someone Else Day - the first Friday the 13th annually
Which holiday in April is known for throwing water?
Thais roam the streets with containers of water or water guns (sometimes mixed with mentholated talc), or post themselves at the side of roads with a garden hose and drench each other and passersby. This, however, was not always the main activity of this festival. "Songkran"
Did You Know?
"In China the symbolic ploughing of the earth by the emperor and princes of the blood takes place in their third month, which frequently corresponds to our April. The Finnish called this month Huhtikuu, or 'Burnwood Month', when the wood for beat and burn clearing of farmland was felled."
Did You Know?
We have a holiday that celebrates "Marijuna?? This holiday is celebrated all over the world and is known as International Medical Marijuana Day. It's celebrated every year on April 20 and is also know as 420. "April 20 ("4/20" in U.S. date notation) has evolved into a counterculture holiday, where people gather to celebrate and consume cannabis. This observance is set to honor "medical marijuana" - In some locations this celebration coincides with Earth Week. At events in the U.S., it is common to hear about Abraham Lincoln, one of many American politicians known for past use of cannabis, who wrote that one of his "favorite things" was "smoking a pipe of sweet hemp". Some events may have a political nature to them, advocating for the decriminalization of non-medical cannabis in the United States.