When is "International Day of Older Persons"? (UN)
The International Day of Older Persons is observed on October 1 each year.
Older Americans Month (May)
What type of holiday is this?
International observance (also known as international dedication or international anniversary) denotes a period of time to observe some issue of international interest or concern.
What is this Holiday for & how is it celebrated?
The holiday is celebrated by raising awareness about issues affecting the elderly, such as senescence and elder abuse. It is also a day to appreciate the contributions that older people make to society.
This holiday is similar to National Grandparents Day in the United States and Canada as well as Respect for the Aged Day in Japan. The observance is a focus of ageing organizations and the United Nations Programme on Ageing.
Origin of this Holiday?
On December 14, 1990 the United Nations General Assembly voted to establish October 1 as the International Day of Older Persons as recorded in Resolution 45/106 . The holiday was observed for the first time on October 1, 1991
How can I Celebrate this holiday?
- Blog with us about it! - We have a blog called "Everyday is a Holiday" so visit our pages and tell us about your favorite cleaning day or your favorite cleaner recipe.
- Send Free E-Greeting! - If your ready to get together with your friends don't forget to invite them with these fun Internet Invitations.
Facts about October
- October is the tenth month of the year in the Gregorian Calendar and one of seven Gregorian months with a length of 31 days.
- The month October has become famous as "Red October", due to the Russian October revolution of 1917, although in the modern Gregorian calendar, the revolution started in November.
- In the nineteenth century, the month of October was dedication to devotion to the rosary in Roman Catholic countries.
See other October 1 holidays
October 1 is the 274th day of the year (275th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 91 days remaining until the end of the year.
- Singapore - Children's Day / October 1
- Armenia - Teachers' Day / October 1
See other October holidays from around the world
- Children's Book Week (England) - First Week of October
- National Day (China, People's Republic of) -October 1
- Independence Day in the Republic Of Cyprus October 1
- Independence Day in Nigeria- October 1
- International Day of Non-Violence - October 2
- German Unity Day (Germany) - October 3
- Proclamation of Portuguese Republic (Portugal) - October 5
- Independence day in Nigeria - October 6
- Independence day in Croatia - October 8
- Thanksgiving (Canada) - Second Monday of October
- Health and Sports Day (Japan) - Second Monday of October
- Columbus Day (Most of United States) - Second Monday of October
- World Food Day - October 16
- Constitution Day in Niue - October 19
- Remembering the Hungarian Revolution of 1956 - October 23
- United Nations Day - October 24
- Day of the Romanian Army - October 25
- Independence Day in St. Vincent & the Grenadines - October 27
- Independence Day in Turkmenistan - October 27
- Navy Day (United States) - October 27
- Independence Day in Greece October 28
- Republic Day in Turkey October 29
You may also be interested in:
External links for more research: