When is "No Smoking Day"?
No Smoking Day /United Kingdom / second Wednesday in March.
Are there other related holidays"? Yes!
What is this Holiday for?
No Smoking Day is an annual health awareness day in the United Kingdom that is intended to help smokers who want to quit smoking. The first No Smoking Day was on Ash Wednesday in 1984 and now takes place on the second Wednesday in March.
The campaign is in its 25th year. The theme of the 2008 campaign was The Great No Smoking Day Challenge, which encouraged smokers to try quitting for a week, whilst gaining sponsorship to support their quit attempt. Participants were then encouraged to build on their success by seeking support to stay smoke free.
Smokers were also encouraged to sign up for free email and text message support, and free 'quit packs' were also provided.
Research conducted by GfK NOP following the 2008 campaign found that: 1) most smokers would like to quit, 2) most smokers were aware that March 12 was No Smoking Day 3) 20% of all smokers aware of No Smoking Day made a quit attempt on the Day (the highest percentage the charity has ever recorded).
The campaign is run by a charity of the same name, which is based in London and has four full-time staff. It is funded by a coalition of governmental and voluntary sector organisations with an interest in health.
What type of holiday is this?
How can I Celebrate this holiday?
- Blog with us about it! - We have a blog called "Everyday is a Holiday" so visit our pages and talk with us about the holidays.
- Send Free E-Greeting! - If your ready to get together with your friends don't forget to invite them with these fun Internet Invitations.
World AIDS Day
World Cancer Day
Resource links for more research:
Other March holidays around the world
- Women's History Month (United States)
- Mardi Gras (February 3 to March 9 in regular years or February 4 to March 9 in leap years)
- Ash Wednesday (February 4 to March 10 in regular years; February 5 to March 10 in leap years)
- Saint David's Day (March 1)
- National Reading Day (United States) (March 2)
- World Maths Day The 1st Wednesday in March
- International Women's Day - March 8
- White Day(Asia) (March 14)
- The Ides of March, the anniversary of the assassination of Julius Caesar by Brutus, Cassius,
- Saint Joseph's Day (March 19)
- Nowruz: New Year's Day in Iran and several other countries. A holiday in Turkey, and Central Asian countries as well.
- Good Friday (some Friday between March 20 to April 23, being the last Friday before Easter)
- World Water Day (March 22)
- Easter (some Sunday between March 22 to April 25)
- Day of Polish-Hungarian Friendship (March 23)
- Hanami, the traditional Japanese custom of enjoying the beauty of flowers starts in late March.
- Prince Kūhiō Day - March 26. State holiday in the State of Hawaii, US.
- Independence Day Of Bangladesh - March 26, 1971